This violin is part of the last documented set of Amati instruments made for the French royal court. It bears the emblems of King Henry IV (1533-1610), the last French ruler to order violins from the Amatis for the royal court. Painted in black and gold on the violin’s maple ribs is the Latin for “Henry IV, by the Grace of God, King of France and Navarre”. Its top was made by a French maker in the first half of the eighteen century. There is also an inscription on the inside of the back that documents part of its history.
Decoration: painted on scroll, ribs,top and back in red, blue, black and gold paint.
Purchased by the National Music Museum with funds generously donated by Kevin Schieffer, 2010